The ICT Word Processing Essentials course focuses on the fundamentals of using common word-processing application software. Students will learn to use the application to create new documents, and to add and edit content. They will use application tools to design a document's look-and-feel by manipulating page layout, fonts, styles, and images. They will also learn to create text structures that make content easier to read and understand, including tables, and bulleted and numbered lists. Finally, students will learn to collaborate on word-processing projects by editing and sharing documents.
After completing the ICT Word Processing Essentials course, students will be able to:
- Identify the functions and benefits of word-processing software, both locally installed and online, including general word-processing functions, cloud computing and common interface features.
- Demonstrate proficiency in using word-processing software to create basic documents and format content, including keyboard shortcuts, page setup tools, printing options, text-editing techniques, document views, styles and fonts, multi-level headings, document navigation, table of contents, page breaks, course citations, date/time stamp, and word count.
- Demonstrate proficiency in working with images and graphical objects in word-processing documents, including image insertion and sizing, image positioning relative to text, tools for drawing, pre-formatted shapes, graphical text objects, visual info representation (diagrams and graphs), and spreadsheet insertion.
- Demonstrate proficiency in working with content structures such as lists and tables in word-processing documents, including column layouts, bulleted and numbered lists, multi-level outlines, and table structures.
- Demonstrate proficiency in editing content and collaborating on projects using word-processing software tools, including installed software vs. cloud-based software, real-time collaboration, sharing tools, revision history, language translation, document commenting and editing tools.