The ICT Communications Essentials course focuses on fundamentals of effective communications in a technological society. Students will learn about basic network functions and Internet connections. They will use strategies and techniques for efficient Web searching. They will also explore issues related to online safety and privacy. Students will learn strategies for creating effective website content. Finally, they will study the tools, practices, and etiquette needed for communicating effectively with e-mail.
After completing the ICT Communications Essentials course, students will be able to:
- Explain how the Internet and its components function to enable communications, including data packets, connection types, Internet addressing, domains, browsers and servers, URLs, and navigation tools and techniques.
- Conduct basic research using resources located on the Internet, including search engine techniques, evaluation of results, copyright guidelines, and downloading images.
- Demonstrate knowledge of safety and privacy practices for online communications, including digital footprint, social network risks, cyber-bullying, safe online communication techniques, and acceptable use policies.
- Demonstrate effective strategies and techniques for locating, preparing, and/or creating Web content, including writing text for websites, inverted pyramid model of journalism, word processing software, message-driven image content, accessing graphics, and Web communication strategies.
- Demonstrate effective and appropriate use of e-mail for online communication, including e-mail address format, components of e-mail messages, e-mail client interfaces and tools, file attachments, e-mail service features, appropriate e-mail communication, and e-mail etiquette and safety practices